Art34A Critique Exercise 2
You can use some of the terms and concepts we have covered so far
- Negative/Positive Space
Follow these steps
Describe the work without using value words such as "beautiful" or "ugly":
- What do you see?
- Describe the subject matter. What is it all about? Are there recognizable images?
Describe how the work is organized as a complete composition:
- Identify some of the similarities throughout the work (i.e., repetition of lines).
- Identify some of the points of emphasis in the work.
- If the work has subjects or characters, what are the relationships between or among them?
Describe how the work makes you think or feel:
- Describe the expressive qualities you find in the work. What expressive language would you use to describe the qualities (i.e., tragic, ugly, funny)?
- Does the work remind you of other things you have experienced (i.e., analogy or metaphor)?
- How does the work relate to other ideas or events in the world and/or in your other studies?
Judgment or Evaluation
Present your opinion of the work's success or failure:
- What qualities of the work make you feel it is a success or failure?
- Compare it with similar works that you think are good or bad.
- What criteria can you list to help others judge this work?
- How original is the work? Why do you feel this work is original or not original?
- Why did you pick this work?